Help! Musa Basjoo - Banana Plant - Wilting and Brown

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by MusaBasjoo, May 9, 2018.

1. MusaBasjoo

MusaBasjoo New Member

Hi,

I am in desperate need of assistance.

I purchased this Musa Basjoo 3 weeks ago (I am in the UK), first week all seemed ok.

I repotted the plant into a slightly larger plot. with general purpose compost, and about 30% grit, for good drainage.

I have watered it every day as it has been hot this past week, and it is the growing season.

As you can see, the leaves have become limp, and dry/brown and crispy on the edges.

It is located in a sunny position, with a few hours of shade a day.

I appreciate any advise! water, soil, sunlight? what am I doing wrong?

Attached Files:

• musa.jpg
      musa.jpg
      File size:
      504.1 KB
      Views:
  2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Could be a number of reasons, or a combination - water, heat and light. However because you are watering every day, I believe the major issue is that you are over watering.

"Often, browning does not stop at the leaf margins, but can spread inward until the entire leaf or leaf tips are affected. The first step to returning the banana plant to full health is to determine what's wrong. Both too much and too little water can stress the plant, resulting in leaves turning brown due to the inability of waterlogged roots to circulate moisture and nutrients, or insufficient water for the roots to circulate. Moving the plant abruptly from lower light conditions to higher light can cause sunburn, turning the edges of the leaves brown and brittle. Leaves with discoloring that spreads inward from the margins may be infected with anthracnose or fungal leaf spot diseases. Heat and cold can also cause leaf browning."

I would cut out the water and move the plant into a more shaded area to reduce the stress.
    Good luck

Daniel Mosquin likes this.