Identification: Help Me!!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Unregistered, Dec 1, 2003.

1. my friend died in may. the only thing salvageable from her burnt down house was a potted plant. she was a botanical expert, knew the genius, species, common and nick-names for every plant you would show her. she was especially proud of this plant i have now that i have yet to identify after relentless searching through books, dictionarys and web sides. it has elliptic shapes leaves, its about four to four and a half feet tall. it is especially sensitive to its environment and its hard to keep it raging healthy indoors in my notheast residence. it resembles a tree, with a skinny trunk no more than 3/4 of an inch thick. the "trunk" is gray with evidence of where leaves have dropped climbing all the way up to the cluster of leaves at the top. the biggest leaves are about a foot to a foot and a half long and about 8 inches wide. they mature leaves are deep green and the immature leaves a light green. ANY HELP IS GRETLY APPRICIATED. even a hint on where to start looking...
    also, it seems almost tropical but at the same time desiduous. i'll check replys regularly, if you have any questions or need further information to help you identify it please don't hesitate to ask. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! i want to keep my favorite plant as healthy as possible and learn more about it. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

a picture would speak a thousand words...... a stab in the dark from me is Rubber tree? Ficus elastica... Perhaps a fiddle leaf fig? Ficus lyrata....

I could be way off base.