Identification: help identifying this foreign plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by girvin13, Apr 9, 2007.

1. girvin13

girvin13 Member

A good friend told me that this plant is from Italy. I cant seem to find any info on it at all.
    I have had it about 6 months and it was a cutting from a larger plant. I am looking for some care instructions and if any blooms or flowers later on

Thanks Horace

Attached Files:

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Looks like what I refer to A Pig face (type of succulent) in your case it looks as tho it is leggy and not compact and reallyfirm from being inside. Please note this is just my observation I just observe this thing growing on my rock wall not even sure why I refer to it as Pig face.

Liz

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

Try giving it a LOT more sun for as long as possible during the day and see if it doesn't start spreading sideways instead of 'up'. It just looks like a relative of Hens and Chickens to me.

4. girvin13

girvin13 Member

the plant gets about 5 hours of direct sunlight in the morning and then indirect the rest of the day.We have to keep turning it so that it don't grow one way. The plant doesn't have a sturdy stem because if i remove the skewer the plant would buckle under its on weight. I am looking for a better way to support the stalk. I thought about just keep putting soil around the base and building it up. BTW i know no one knows exactly what the plant is but i would be curious if it would survive being planted outdoors. I live in zone 6b in the USA and the winters are getting milder and milder.

5. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

Your plant appears to be a sempervirum of which there are many hundreds of species and cultivars. They thrive best in a fairly well-drained medium in full sun. They are easily divided and I would suggest that you do so and try one of the starts outside. You could do that in a pot with a coarse cactus mix or in a well-drained rock garden type environment. It should be fine in your area. I grew several varieties in Connecticut in a rock garden with no problems.

Bill

6. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

Not Sempervivum. Looks like Sedum palmeri to me.