Identification: Help identifying this "bonsai"

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by cxr344, Apr 14, 2007.

1. cxr344

cxr344 Member

I got this supposed bonsai plant as a gift, and I have absolutely no idea what it is. I'm generally terrible with plants, but this one has actually lasted about a year and now I'm starting to get a bit attached.

Any help identifying it would be appreciated, I'd like to learn how to care for it a bit better than I am (currently just watering it at random intervals... maybe that's enough, but I don't know).

Attached Files:

2. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

I must presume that your plant is a 'bonsai' because of the manner in which it has been planted and maintained. What you have is a "cardboard palm". This is more appropriately, Zamia furfuracea, or Scurfy Zamia. Here in Florida, it is mostly known as a 'cardboard palm' because of the leaf texture. I took two seedlings(eight years ago, each with two leaves), planted them in my front yard, and now they are nine feet wide by six feet from front to back. Yours will survive to 25 degrees f. if planted outside. It prefers sandy soil, full sun, in a well drained condition. Mine are about five feet tall. Each leaf stem is at least five feet long. They keep throwing 'pups' so I now have nine of them. Should you plant it in a larger pot, give it more light, more fertilizer, and 'let 'er rip', you can have a spectacular plant.

3. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

I agree with the ID. I would note that the ones I have seen recently at lowes have had the rock cemented together over a peaty mix that holds water way too long. If that gravel is cemented I would recommend repotting it with a well-draining mix. Also make sure there is an adequate drain hole in the pot. Some of these don't even have that! They are a great potted plant if you can't grow them outside. :o)

Bill

4. cxr344

cxr344 Member

Yep, mine is potted with rocks cemented in place, but there is a drain hole at least. I'll make sure to re=pot it now though.

Thanks for the help!

5. Lilia

Lilia Member

I just bought one of these at Costco. My bonsai has one very tall "shoot" with tiny leaves and is about 18 inches tall. I've done a little research on it and think this might be the standard non-bonsai plant coming out. How can I trim this long shoot or should I trim it at all? Is this a "pup" as someone else pointed out? Thanks for any advice!