Help identifying soil insect

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by S povi, Oct 23, 2020.

Tags:
?

Are these bugs likely harmful to my plant?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. S povi

S povi New Member

Hello,

I recently discovered these tiny mites/insects in my indoor potted Meyer lemon tree. They are very fast moving and there are ALOT of them. This plant has been struggling on/off for the past few months, are these beneficial mites or root aphids or something else? Should I be concerned? If so, any recommended treatment?

They are so small it is hard to capture them on camera, but they are very small, maybe the size of a poppy seed or slightly larger. They are fast-moving and do not have wings. Relatively long antennae but I cannot tell if there are 6 or 8 legs. Please see the following video for better visualization.

This plant has a lot of sentimental value so I am not willing to part with it easily.

I appreciate any help available!

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Perhaps you can capture one using a piece of transparent tape. You can then have a closer look at it and count the number of legs and such. Also, is your tree showing any signs of stress or damage?

3. Sulev

Sulev Active Member

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  4. S povi

S povi New Member

Thank you for your reply! The tape was a good suggestion! I can see now that they have 6 legs, here is a picture of a few of them with a penny for scale. Any thoughts?

My tree recently dropped a lot of leaves with some small black/grey spots on the underside (~3 weeks ago). The spots were not mold and could not be wiped off. I frequently check the tree for scale and leaf insects and I haven't observed any for the past few months. It is now in full bloom. Thanks again for your help!

Attached Files:

5. S povi

S povi New Member

Thank you for your suggestion! I have had springtails in other plants in the past and these bugs don't have the same jumping-like activity. They also seem to be more brown and stubbier than the springtails I had before, do you think they are likely still springtails?

Thanks again!

6. Sulev

Sulev Active Member

A quote from Springtail Resource Page

7. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

What is that tan colored material on top of the soil in the photo? Is is fungal? It looks like small piles of sawdust.