Help Identifying My Japanese Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by johnhorn, Aug 30, 2004.

1. johnhorn

johnhorn Member

Unfortunately we have to cut down our beautiful Japanese Maple (it was planted over the cesspool). We would like to replace it with the same tree but we havn't had any luck determining what type of maple it is.

It as usually red although right now it appears greenish.
    It is approx 15 ft. tall. I don't know how old it is but it can't be more than 16 yrs old.

Any insight you could provide would be much appreciated.

thanks
    John

Attached Files:

2. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

move it

Why don't you dig it and move it?

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

what he said (Elmore)

4. johnhorn

johnhorn Member

I assumed moving it was too much of an under taking....

How much would it cost to have a professional move it??
    Who would I call??
    If I decide to move it myself - what size whole would I have to dig to remove the root ball - is there some kind of an equation that would tell me how wide and deep to dig??

I'm still curious about what type of maple this is - if anyone knows..

thanks
    JH

5. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

dig it

I would dig it up and move it. If you and/or your folks don't want to do it, call some local wholesale nurseries and see if you can get someone to move it for you. Look for a nursery that does field production, as they dig a lot. It shouldn't cost more than a couple of hundred dollars ( Alabama price) at most to have someone dig it and place it in a wide but shallow hole that you have prepared yourself. I bet that I could find someone to do it for $100.00. A skilled laborer from across the border with a tree dolly may be the answer. The border that I am referring to is to the south. NJ. hehe.
    Root ball size? Measure the caliper ( diameter) of the trunk, 6" from the base. If over 4" caliper, measure 12" from the base. Multiply that by 12". That is what the diameter of your root ball should be. i.e. 3" caliper should have a 36" root ball. Depth? About 6" per inch of caliper. fyi: http://gardenline.usask.ca/trees/moving.html
    Attached is a photo of an Acer palmatum 'Crimson Prince' ready for some burlap.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004