Identification: Help Identifying Indoor Hanging Plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by heathermlr, Dec 5, 2008.

1. heathermlr

heathermlr Member

I purchased this plant which was labeled merely as a 6" indoor tropical plant. I absolutely love the plant, it has really taken off. Recently it developed some flowers. I've searched all over to identify it but can't seem to pin it down. A friend suggested it might be Hoya but the flowers are individual trumpet-like blooms. It seems like it might be of genus Ceropegia but the leaves are quite oblong and it's not what I would call "woody".

I've attached 2 pictures. One is a close-up of the leaves. The leaves seem slightly succulent. The top is dark green and the underside has mottled purple leopard-like print. The dark pattern on the bottom seems to show-through to the top but it's almost as if they're separate layers.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think it is an Aeschynanthus, lipstick plant. I got a cutting of one that looked like that from a friend once. Unfortunately it did not survive the trip home in my suitcase. I like the markings. The plant I was trying to propagate was so beautiful when the sun was on the leaves.

3. heathermlr

heathermlr Member

I'll post pictures of the flowers tomorrow; they don't seem to be like the Lipstick plant.

4. heathermlr

heathermlr Member

You were right; I found the plant in a search. It is Aeschynanthus longicaulis 'Red Herring'

Description:
    This new Aeschynanthus species has been grown for a few years in Thailand, where it was said to be a Hoya species -- until it flowered! It is a very beautiful vine, with dark green leaves with a red herringbone pattern. Very easy; likes warmth, high humidity and moderate to bright light; makes a beautiful basket. Grown in 3.5 inch basket pots.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Attached Files:

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Holy Smoke! What a flower! Wonder what pollinates it?!

6. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Yep, it's Aeschynanthus longicaulis. 'Black Pagoda' is a hybrid of A. longicaulis.

I'm not sure why, but mine grows VERY slow for some reason. I mean snail slow! It gets good bright indirect light and is watered once a week when dry and lightly fed in the summer months. It will send out a flower or two.
    I'm just not sure what else I can do to make this one thrive any better and just fill out more.

Any tips heather?

7. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

Bluewing, mine is a slow grower too. And to my knowledge it has never flowered. I love the colors of the leaves, I just wish it looked like heathermlr's full plant!

8. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Slow growers indeed. One of those "is that real" plants because until they flower you're left wondering if they're actually doing anything :} Very hardy though.

9. heathermlr

heathermlr Member

Mine has been growing like wildfire, I almost wonder if I should transfer it to a bigger pot. It hangs in our bathroom right in front of the window which is that frosted textured privacy glass, so the light is somewhat filtered.

I water infrequently, letting the soil get pretty dry. I would say once every 3 weeks or so; every other time I add a little Miracle Gro to the water.

Thanks for all the compliments!

10. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Well, in a way, it's good to know that others like, wild-rose and Chungii's plants are growing like mine, like molasses flowing up a steep hill:)
    I do add a little Miracle Gro to the water in the warmer months with each watering, but it doesn't seem to care! I even had it out in bright shade during the summer. Nothing!

Hopefully, these (grow nothing plants) will one day take off and start to look more like Heathers!

11. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Flowers like that are designed for long-beaked hummingbirds... The pollen rubs off on the forehead of the bird and gets transferred that way.

We don't have Aeschynanthus down here, but we do have Centropogon, which has similarly adapted flowers.

12. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i have one, also. thought it was a lipstick plant as well - it was id'd as such when i posted about it...

anyhoo, mine isn't doing much of anything. very little growth (and i've been bad about watering properly due to being busy). the other thing is that the room i have it in isn't as warm as it should be - something is wrong with the radiator and i haven't id'd the problem yet to fix it.

since this is something hummingbirds like, i guess i'll be hanging it outside come summer!