Identification: help identifying anthurium

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by esteban razmilic, Sep 29, 2022.

1. esteban razmilic

esteban razmilic New Member

hi everyone, this anthurium was sold to me as superbum, but I am not really sure, in all the pictures I have seen the superbum seems to have a very short petiole. and this one does not (growing under bright lights so its not about it stretching), it's structure is more like that of A. coriaceum, but unlike coriaceum which has flat leaves, this one seems to have some level of corrugation on the leaves, they are also wider and of a deeper green color.
    upload_2022-9-29_11-57-42.jpeg
    upload_2022-9-29_12-2-45.jpeg
    for comparison the plant bellow was sold to me as coriaceum, the leaves are flat, narrower and they have a slight hint of blue to them.
    upload_2022-9-29_12-1-22.jpeg
    upload_2022-9-29_12-1-55.jpeg
    mind you my country is horrible with plant names, so maybe neither is what it is supposed to be, I am still trying to figure out what a "philodendron fragans" is suposed to be (the one bellow the "superbum" in the second photo) ;)
    thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2022
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I can't answer your question at all. I'm just suggesting you make sure there are no spider mites on the undersides of the leaves on the one you're asking about, as one of the photos is suggesting the possibility to me. There are few enough leaves that you could wash them off every three days or so for a while if there are any.
    And that plant I'm taking to be Monstera adansonii at the back of your third photo looks lovely.

I hope someone can actually address your question.

3. esteban razmilic

esteban razmilic New Member

thank you for the warning Wendy, thankfully I think it's not spider mites but paint flakes/specks, I had the "Bright" idea of painting the shelf that's abobe the plant white and it has been shedding paint practically from day one, its also(I am ashamed to say) very dirty so that adds to the dusty look, what it does have is some salt accumulation on the leaves (especially the new ones when they are growing up) which I asume comes from the soil mix it's in because I use distilled water, I am just coming out of winter so I will wait until the newest leaf hardens and then repot it into something more appropriate to see if that fixes that.

salt exudation
    upload_2022-9-29_16-16-0.png
    for now and thanks to your suggestion I gave it a thorough wash
    a clean plant
    upload_2022-9-29_16-16-47.png
    and next to what I asume is coreaceum (left) for comparison
    upload_2022-9-29_16-21-13.png

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2022
    wcutler likes this.
  4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

5. esteban razmilic