help identify the bugs

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by andrei, Mar 29, 2006.

1. andrei

andrei Member

Hello,

I noticed some white bugs on my coffee plant, which also leave white sticky cotton-like substance on leaves. I have a suspicion they might be aphids or mealybugs, but I'd like to know what they are for sure. I'm attaching two pics, any help with identification and, more importantly, advice/pointers on how to get rid of them would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Andrei

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks like mealy bugs, not aphids.

3. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

not aphids, looks like mealy bugs. you can wipe off the leaves with a cottonball soaked with alcohol. if they come back then you might get an insecticide that is safe for indoor use (this plant is indoors right?) and that is labled to control mealy bugs. there are foliar sprays and soil drenches to choose from.

4. andrei

andrei Member

Hi Dixie,

Thanks for your quick reply. I was wondering what alcohol concentration I should use to wipe the bugs off, wouldn't alcohol destroy the leaves as well?

Andrei

5. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

i would do about a 3:1 ratio (3 parts water to 1 part alcohol). try this first, then if it isn't working increase the strength. the alcohol shouldn't harm the plants. this is what i did when i was taking care of the indoor plants at our mall. it also, helps to clean the leave and remove any dust. q-tips come in handy when getting in the smaller areas. just try as hard as you can to remove all of the bugs.