Help for Laurel tree!

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Backyard Bliss, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Backyard Bliss

Backyard Bliss Member

Two years ago I had three enormous Portugese Laurel trees gracing my backyard. One suddenly started to lose leaves on a daily basis. I called in an arborist and they gave the tree a series of deep root fertilizing. Perhaps I called them in too late as the tree died. Now my other two Laurels have started to drop leaves. I am panicked. There are tons of new buds, but the leaves keep dropping. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Armillaria?

3. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

You by chance wouldn't have added mulch or soil last year and built up around the trunk? That is a common over looked problem. Or possibly there were planted a bit too low in the first place, causing some decay in the trunk.

Were they able to root properly through burlap and into the soil, could be just barely hanging on to life, not able to grow roots fast enough to keep new growth and maintain existing foliage.

Also drought/climate change may cause green leaves and needles to drop in the spring on evergreens. If the last tree to go, is in the lowest point, could be a slight possibility. Or vice versa if the first tree to go is in the lowest point, then possibilities could lead towards too much water settling over winter causing roots to rot. Mind you this might be more common on a little longer established trees than 2yrs.

I would say more often than not, some sort of improper planting is the cause for decline in reasonably newly planted trees and shrubs.

Well I am just winging a few ideas, without any idea! Good luck Jim.

4. Backyard Bliss

Backyard Bliss Member

Sorry if I mislead you, the trees have been in the backyard for at least 50 years. Last year I spread a thin layer of peat in the area under the tree, but that is the only change.

Someone has suggested that the combination of cold, wind and then sunshine could have caused "wind burn". I am hoping this is the only problem and that the buds I see coming out will return the trees to their former glory.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Timing implicates peat. Was it dry peat? That might have repelled rain and irrigation water and caused your problem. Or, it might have been infested with a pathogen that spread to your tree(s). After I put down some "black dirt" near a thriving, self-sown vine maple it got verticillium (or a similar condition) and blighted off. (Verticillium can be murder on maples and is spread via infested soil).

6. jimweed

Sorry I mis read your post. These are well established trees. Did the leaves on the first tree to die fall while they were green? Or, did they turn brown before they fall off?

Are the leaves scorched on these other two that are dropping leaves? From the severe winter we had. That could cause them to fall if they are severely scorched and dried out.

Are the trees in a shady area where gray mold might be growing all over the branches and foliage? In return can soften the wood and or restrict photosynthesis.

Sudden death from my experience on evergreens usually ends up being from natural causes, often in the roots. Drought, pooling water, ect..

Like Ron says there is the chance of the peat contaminating, generally plant diseases like Verticillium, bacterial and leave blights, usually cause a long slow painful death. I'm not too much up on root diseases and how long there effect takes to kill a tree. I know on Lawson Cypress trees, root rot slowly stresses them back over a few years before the bright orange sets in! And then keeps moving right on down the hedge.

Min. of Ag. out in Abbotsford will do plant diagnostic's for $15. You just need to take them a sample. If that interests you, and can give you a better idea on which direction to look for corrective treatments.

It's my opinion to use your watering days to give all your trees and plants as much water as you can [within reason] and let your lawn suffer through. It's going to suffer anyway if you abide to the City of Vancouver's pesticide bylaw! The Chaffer Beetle is coming.

Post a pic if you can, might be able to notice something common. Good luck, I hope the last two turn around and come back for you! Jim.

7. Backyard Bliss

Backyard Bliss Member

I am beginning to think that it was indeed wind burn. The peat I used was sterilized and there is no indication of mold. The leaves seen to have some small red spots on some and on others there is brown in a "v" and the tip. The leaves that are falling are not all brown.

The first tree to die might have been because several years prior we had built a patio around it which may have deprived the roots the water it was used to.

This problem seems different. I am hopeful becuase there are tons of new buds. But am unsure of whether to fertilize or not.

8. jimweed

Maybe just wait on the fertilizer till it's a bit warmer and see how the new growth does. But if they're doing fine, then fertilize if you want. Hope they're not too defoliated and look all thin and spindly for the next few years to come. Jim.