Help, Drooping Jade!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by ajohn118, Apr 27, 2011.

1. ajohn118

ajohn118 Member

I've had a healthy jade for about 5 years but in the last couple days one of the stems started drooping, then yesterday half the plant started drooping! I use Miracle Grow Moisture Control soil and fertilize every couple months. Recently, we had a good rain here so I put it outside. But, pushing my finger into the soil, it does not feel too wet. It has been pretty healthy and lately and has lots of new growth. The leaves all look a deep green to me.

A couple years ago I almost lost this plant to some type of root fungus, but now the leaves are not falling off, the plant is just drooping. Any help or suggestions is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Sounds like it might have gotten too wet. You have a small root ball for that size plant, so any problem like rotting roots is greatly magnified. I would let it dry and recover in very bright light, and perhaps stake/tie up some of those branches to give them some temporary help. Let it get pretty dry the first time before you start your regular watering schedule again. When it is stabilized I would repot into a larger pot with better soil.
    "Moisture Control" = holds more water = wet = not good for a succulent plant like a jade. Try either a cactus/succulent mix (if you are very good at watering regularly), or a higher quality potting soil (peat/perlite) mixed with extra pumice for drainage (if you water poorly like me).

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

It looks etiolated (light starved) to me.
    Better find a brighter location to grow it.

4. ajohn118

ajohn118 Member

I had no idea that overwatering could be such a problem. I will find it some more direct sunlight, hold off on the watering can, and get the poor guy some better soil when he is feeling better. Thanks so much for your help.

5. Peperomia

Peperomia Active Member

I agree with salt cedar. Maybe your Jade is moving towards the light source like it is strecthing toward light. In what window did you place it?

6. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Treat jades similar to cactus. Qtaer well when soil has been allowed to dry out first.