Help diagnose Lemon tree Disease

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by justinnum1, Nov 1, 2016.

1. justinnum1

justinnum1 New Member

Backstory- recently moved to a new house, there is a lemon tree in the backyard. Looks like it has some disease on it. About 2 days ago i watered the tree for like 10 minutes, soaking the ground and it looks like some new growth started from that. Anyone have an idea what is wrong with the tree and what i can do to correct it? Thanks!
    IMG_0025_zpsaqdx30hg.jpg
    IMG_0020_zpsjcrrjzm2.jpg
    IMG_0024_zpshtnxznqc.jpg
    IMG_0023_zpsyyfn1vo8.jpg
    IMG_0022_zpsxgli0guf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2016
  2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The growth on the bark in the 2nd and 3rd pictures is lichen: Lichen - Wikipedia. However it is not a problem. From the appearance of the leaf damage in the 4th picture and the spots on the small fruit in the 3rd picture, the problem may be a fungal disease called citrus scab. Have a look at the following document: Texas Citrus - Diseases Affecting Localized Parts of Trees. Also, there appears to be some leaf miner damage in the 3rd picture.

justinnum1 likes this.
  3. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

By your palm trees, you are in USDA Zone 10, possibly 10B. Say Florida, Ft Lauderdale west to Ft Myers and south. While I agree with everything our esteemed Junglekeeper has written, I strongly suggest you contact your county agricultural extension office for any citrus info. You can drop in to the office, or call. I'd caution you to use university and state information rather than rely on Master Gardeners.