help! Crispy escargot begonia

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by brownthumbexpert, Nov 4, 2008.

1. brownthumbexpert

brownthumbexpert Active Member

My begonias and all other plants are now inside. I wish I had a greenhouse, but I don't. For some reason, my escargot and fireflush are now putting off more growth than when they were inside, but the older leaves seem to get brown and crispy on the edges. I am not sure why. Can anyone help? This pic is horrible, but I think you can see the middle is still semi healthy, and the edge of the leaf is crispy.

Attached Files:

2. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Well begonias like quite high humidity, and no direct sunlight. Maybe a bit in winter, but not in spring or summer. Also they don't respond well to drying out before re-watering. If you have situated your plant beside the heater (forced air or otherwise) they would get pouty about that. Anything here sound possible?

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I used to have B. escargot "rex" and by the end of the week, the leaves had all dried up from "low humidity" like chester mentioned. Although there are begonias for inside that do very well without any extra humidity, but apparently and sadly, not escargot!
    A pebble tray, small terrarium, or like a table top fountain placed nearby might help.

4. brownthumbexpert

Thanks for your help! I just remembered that when I had it outside I was misting it and it did a lot better. And it may actually be getting too much light. I will move it and see what happens. Thanks for your help!

5. Chester

You could also try a pebble tray (tray filled with pebbles and water) to raise the humidity around the plant, as well as grouping plants together. I've double potted my plants that like higher humidity. Put this pot inside another pot (terracotta is best) and fill in between the 2 pots with moss. Keep the moss moist.

6. brownthumbexpert

Wow, thanks! The double pot sounds easier. And less likely to attract my kids like a tray of pebbles. :-)
    Does it have to be moss?

7. Chester

Well I use moss, but I'm thinking you could use just about anything that would absorb water. I have used old washcloths, and even bunched up newspapers would do the trick. Packing peanuts would dry off too quickly. Sand would probably work alright, but you'd have to put something over the pot hole do you don't lose all of your sand. I've used mosquito netting and a bit of cloth before. Hope this helps.

8. brownthumbexpert

That helps a bunch! THANKS!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008