Help! Anthurium is not doing well.

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by macgregorbl, Oct 25, 2018.

1. macgregorbl

macgregorbl New Member

I bough an anthurium in August. I have since reportted it in the recommended soil mix (mix of well draining soil, perlite, and some bark) in a pot with a drainage hole. It is in a bright room with an East facing window. I started doing some research when I noticed the new flower shoots were turning an orangish brown colour. I know it is natural for older flowers and leaves to die so the plant. Now the plant is doing progressively worse. I don't think I over water it. I give it a good watering every now and then. I haven't watered it in a while though because the soil seema to be holding onto the moisture. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    15404968860055743902365814257568.jpg 15404969337296024004052380483526.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2018
  2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I don't know what the problem is but the following document contains much information on this plant; you may find it useful in diagnosing the problem. From what I've read, it suggests a medium that is even more porous than what you're using.

togata57 and macgregorbl like this.
  3. macgregorbl

macgregorbl New Member

Thank you!

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Is your anthurium in just one non-draining pot or is there a second pot inside the blue one? If there is an inner pot, do you remove it when watering and let it drain thoroughly before putting in back in the blue one? What I'm wondering is if the plant is standing in water after being watered.

5. macgregorbl

macgregorbl New Member

I have the plant potted in one pot. I am going to repot it and use a new, denser, soil mixture. I will try using a second pot. Am I correct in looking for a smaller pot? I am under the impression that the plant prefers to be a little root bound.

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Less dense soil mexture. From Anthurium Care: How To Care For Anthurium Flowers:
    " The ideal potting soil is light, fluffy and has to drain well".
    That site recommends watering it often in soil that allows the water to drain through, so that it is never sitting in water.

macgregorbl likes this.
  7. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

A denser mix is contrary to an Orchid-like mix suggested in the document at exoticrainforest. Also, plants don't grow in confined spaces in the wild so I question the preference for one to be root bound.

macgregorbl likes this.
  8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Also, if they want so much air on their roots, that root-bound idea wouldn't seem to be appropriate. I would guess it comes from the idea that some plants flower under stress, so if you want flowers (but not a long-lived plant), you would put it under stress by confining the roots.

macgregorbl likes this.
  9. macgregorbl

macgregorbl New Member

Thanks for your input everyone, I really appreciate it!