Hedges: Hedge is HUGE

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Paulina, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Upper Fraser Valley, Beautiful British Columbia!
    Our hedge is way overgrown, I'm not sure what types of trees they are, but they are about 4-5' wide. I want them really cut back, but in order to do that, we'll be cutting most of the greenery off. Will the greenery come back, or will I kill the trees? How far can we narrow them down?

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

very unlikely to re-sprout from brown twigs. likely best to remove it outright.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks like it is probably a Thuja; if yes, I agree with Jimmyq that it won't resprout if cut back into brown stems.

Can you post a close-up of the foliage?

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I would almost guarantee they are Thuja occ. 'Smaragd' they and 'pyramidalis' are the two main culprits for 'cedar hedges' around here.

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Any of these hedges that are other than tip pruned will not resprout. That is why when young you need to trim them as they grow to the shape and size you want. Then at least a yearly tip prune with shears or a hedge trimmer. I have recently had one pruned by the goats and it has definatley not come back. Around here when used as wind shields in paddocks they are planted with in two fence lines so the animals cannot get at them except trim them to the fence line.

Liz

6. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Given the magnitude of the replacement task, you could always try trimming them back as far as the green extends into the plant, and if they don't resprout, then replace them. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, and why take them out without trying first?

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd'. Wouldn't call a one-storey hedge "huge" but anyway agree that trying to work with it would be less of a drama than starting over. If managing living plants as a screen is not working for you then maybe will have to replace with a wood fence to maintain effect.