Heavy prune ceanothus?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Annie1103, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Annie1103

Annie1103 New Member

In my mini garden I have a ceanothus which has grown into a small tree. I was out of town for quite a while and missed its blooming season. It has outgrown and taken too much space, so I am thinking of giving it a heavy pruning like removing some of the horizontal limbs and encouraging an upward growing.
    I am wondering if it is the ok time to do it, or I should wait until next spring?
    Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.
    Thanks!

Picture of my ceanothus tree

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2021
  2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Elisabeth C. Miller Library: Gardening Answers Search Results for "Ceanothus"
    There is a lot of info here (link above)

One thing that is often said (and I am not suggesting you’ve done this) is to the effect “right plant, wrong place”

In other words - for example - we all love fast growing but then want it at a certain size or water use limit etc

Victoria Lilac is pretty.

I have never seen one standardized in to a shrub- tree

The trunk braid in photo is very interesting

3. Annie1103

Annie1103 New Member

Thank you for replying and the info provided.
    I bought this plant six years ago, by then it only reached up to my knee. Actually I always hope it can grow into a tree and now it made it. My only concern is that some of the horizontal limbs have covered too much space and touched the trunk of its neighbor. So I am thinking a heavy prune to guide it for an upward growth. Just not sure if it is the right season to prune it. Probably I should wait until next spring.