Hawthorn-Crataegus

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by aecarp, May 7, 2005.

1. aecarp

aecarp Member

Hi all,
    I'm trying to put together an amateur sort of monograph for the various Crataegus plants involved in producing the medicinal extracts. The problem is, I'm having trouble finding a lot of information (without shelling out 60 bucks for the AHP monograph).

Any ideas on where I might be able to find a detailed botanical description of Hawthorn plants? How about the macroscopic characteristics of various species of Crataegus? It's only going to get worse when I start my commercial sources and handling sections...

Thanks for all of your help,
    - Alex C.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello Alex,

I don't think you'll find too much online. I think you should seek out the following:

VOLUME 35: Revision of Crataegus section Crataegus and nothosection Crataeguineae (Rosaceae-Maloideae) in the Old World, Knud Ib Christensen, 199 pp, 1992. ISBN 0-912861-35-5.

Macklin J.A. and J.B. Phipps 2001. Sargent's types in Crataegus series Coccineae (Rosaceae) Harvard Papers in Botany 7(1)

Phipps, J.B.; Muniyamma, M. 1980. A taxonomic revision of Crataegus (Rosaceae) in Ontario. Can. J. Bot. 58:1621-1699.

All of these are going to skew highly towards the taxonomy of Crataegus, which is what I associate with the word "monograph". You might also seek out some of the northeastern US floras - there are some excellent regional ones (although the names escape me at the moment).

In any case, this is going to involve a trip to a university library (or calling ahead and seeing if you can access the research library at the US National Arboretum - I've no idea if it is open to the public or not - or a similar research-focused botanical garden / arboretum), though.

3. aecarp

aecarp Member

Thanks so much for your help. I'll head on over to UMCP, and see if I can find those resources.

-Alex