has anyone seen nam doc mai mangoes in canada?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Brandon Burke, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Brandon Burke

Brandon Burke New Member

Im currently looking for nam doc mai mango fruits as ive heard that the seeds are polyembrionic. I want to grow them. I live in a smaller town on vancouver island and ive never seen them in stores here or in nanaimo. Just asking if anyone has ever seen them in stores in larger cities.

2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Mangos are very difficult to grow from store bought fruit as the fruit is usually picked before fully ripe and then chilled during shipping. I was only once was able to grow julia mango from seed and those were fresh seeds I brought back from St. Vincent - the seedling survived for less than two years.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

There were some mangoes that were being sold as Golden Mango from Thailand. It was all green with a prominent beak. I estimate each fruit to be 6-7" long with a weight of 2 lbs. Perhaps this is what you're looking for. I've had no problem germinating store bought mangoes but I've not done so in recent years. I get a feeling this particular store has some of its exotic fruit air-freighted in.

4. Brandon Burke

Brandon Burke New Member

Do you remember what the store was called? Thank you

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I believe it's San Lee Enterprises on 267 Keefer St. in Vancouver. This particular mango was selling for $10/lb.

6. Brandon Burke

Brandon Burke New Member

Thank you