hardy Eucalyptus varieties

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by John Sinal, Feb 24, 2004.

1. John Sinal

John Sinal Member

I'm considering planting a Eucalyptus (evergreen, nice leaves and bark, part-screen) in my South-facing backyard. My yard has a lot of light and it is moderately sheltered. Any suggestions for hardy Eucalyptus varieties? What sort of growth rates could I expect here in Vancouver? One consideration was the Eucalyptus Pauciflira subsp.Niphophila. How will they fare after a Winter like we have just experienced? I saw one young tree (variety unknown)that did not look too happy after the Christmas cold snap.
    Thanks!~

2. Wes North Van

Wes North Van Active Member 10 Years

Eucs

I believe the hardiest and most attractive euc is the e. debeuzevillei. It is rated a zone 6b tree! We are anywhere from zone 7b to 8b possibly even 9a.
    It's trunk peels away exposing a giraffe like smooth trunk of white, beige and grey. The leaves are a blue green colour that get to 9" long. I have a very small one that survived our last winter unprotected and in an area that would get frost first and last the longest. It breezed through the winter! I hit -9C as my low but that only lasted a night. I did however have two nights of -7C.

3. Ian

Ian Active Member

Eucalyptus

I think that E. debeuzevillei and E. niphophila are, on average, comparable in hardiness. There will be some variation within the hardiness of individual trees of the same species which is why people do not always get the same results with eucalyptus during cold snaps in our climate. My rule of thumb is keep trying! Some other very cold hardy species you might look into would be E. parvula, E. perriniana, E. neglecta, E. glaucescens and E. lacrimans.