Happy Fathers’ - Uncles - Mentors - caring guides Day

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Georgia Strait, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Happy Fathers’ Day 2021
    Including our honorary papas and grands and uncles and mentors - caring guides.

I would need a really amazing mobile cellular plan (celestial plan!) to ask our dad his fav gardening plants etc

Tho I was thinking this morning - how he taught us vegetable farming and straight rows and how to start a Briggs & Stratton rototiller (special gas mix) —- and let us drive our Tonka trucks around the gardens (til I parked mine in the driveway and the family wagon flattened it!)

Our grand dad from Harrogate UK was more of a decorative English style gardener out here in Coastal BC. Roses and iris and delphiniums and a manicured lawn cut with a special pattern (criss cross)

Some of the neighbor surrogate grandparent type people showed us kids all about honey bee hives and rhubarb and corn

An uncle helped us kids get summer fruit picking jobs up on tall ladders - then ice cream and swimming !

————

I wonder what other people hère recall learning from parents or neighbors et al

Meanwhile - here is a moderator appreciation LIMERICK for @Acerholic - all intended in good humour this very warm Sunday here in beautiful BC

Thank you to all the moderators

@Acerholic

A mod ´cross the pond on this forum
    Helpful model of British decorum
    It’s clear he likes plants
    Even worms, maybe ants?
    But when it comes to maples (eh!) he adores ´em

D97x7, Acerholic and Margot like this.
  2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

What a lovely tribute, @Georgia Strait! You have some wonderful memories.

I don't have specific memories so much as a general sense that gardens - both ornamental and productive - are an essential part of a good life.

That's something I've never doubted for a moment.

Acerholic and Georgia Strait like this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Just read this after being in the garden with my maples. It's a very wet and dull day here in the UK today and your posting Georgia has certainly brightened everything up. 'LOVELY '.

4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Did you learn about maples from your parents or ...?

5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I learnt all about how not to keep them in our soil from my parents, as they struggled to have healthy trees in our heavy clay. We live less than 100yds from their house, so we have removed tonnes and tonnes of the stuff to enable us to enjoy maples as they should be and in the soil they like.
    Our love of maples came from buying our first two trees as a wedding gift to each other 43 years ago next week. A red and a green dissectum that we still have to this day.
    We did learn from friends who are sadly no longer with us. They had decades of knowledge that they were very happy to pass on. A bit like this forum, but in words over a coffee. Lol.

D

Georgia Strait likes this.