growing seedlings for the poor

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Cakes, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Cakes

Cakes Member

After the last freeze we will drop them off at the Salvation Army/local food banks.

Using bags to grow in mostly. plastic shopping bags cut in half. and then formed by wrapping around a two-liter soda bottle. a little tape. Sandwich baggies would have worked well. Other than that i have a lot of those little six-packs left over from commercial buys. maybe next time i will hit up a landscaper for their leftovers.

half manure and half dirt since that is what i have a lot of. You know how to do. we think this is a great idea if u have some light space available. The thought of all those kids picking veggies or growing a jackOlantern is a lot of fun. Especially since I know lot of them would have had nothing otherwise.

i think this summer i will take cuttings from my fruit trees because i like the idea of giving away perennials. i guess the nectarine has a rootstock but luckily THAT is throwing off suckers so it should be okay. and it will be a fun new thing to do besides the fact that it seems likely to boost my growing skills quite a bit (if i am successful, ha ha).