Growing Green Lo Bok (similar to Daikon?)

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Seamus, May 11, 2007.

1. Seamus

Seamus Active Member

I bought a Lo Bok root right out of the box from my work. It still had some yellow foliage on the top so I planted it in a conatiner full of soil from my garden and its growing like mad. I'm just doing it for fun so if it bites the dust I won't be too dissapointed, so is it as tolerant of the cold as regular variety red radishes??? When I put it outside on the deck in its pot in full sun it gets pretty limp despite the soil still being very moist so I believe I'll build a screen to place overtop of it to partially shield it from the mid-day sun. Any advice from Lo Bok or Diakon growers?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Put the screen south of it so it can grow up from behind it into the full sun.

3. Seamus

Seamus Active Member

I think I have the perfect spot for it alongside my house that will get sun all day, but I can easily build a screen for that area. It still isn't warm enough here to put it outside but the foliage is growing very rapidly (possibly stretched from being inside for so long) and its flowering. As far as I know flowering comes about when the plant if nearing the end of it's lifecycle or when it has been stressed?

4. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

Generally plants will flower when they are stressed - things like too hot, sudden dry spell - at least that's what happens when I try to grow radish which I think is along the same lines as Daikon(?)

5. Seamus

Seamus Active Member

It's a type of radish grown mainly in Asia, but if the same thing happens to your radishes do they still turne out ok?

6. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

Once the plants start to stretch up and form flower buds they no longer put on any extra mass in the root. I've found that what root has formed is very strong (hot)