Growing blue spruce from seed

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Kasimir, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Kasimir

Kasimir Member

We have recently purchased just under two acres in Petrolia, a small town in south western ontario near Sarnia. The land has very little tree coverage and I hope to change that. Where we currently live there is a beautiful Blue Spruce and I was taking apart the cones to extract seed to see if I can start some seedlings. Is it as simple as putting them in the soil and ensuring they are watered or do I need to approach this a little differently.

I have had to clear some what I believe is Common Buckthorn (what a nasty bush) and am looking forward to replacing that with a nice variety of tree cover.

One other thing, the soil is a heavy clay, so any tree variety suggestions are welcome.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(moved to its own thread in conifers forum)

3. lhuget

lhuget Active Member

I'm not sure why the tree experts haven't jumped in here. I have a blue spruce and a high clay content in my soil. I have got a few seedlings underneath it. Not as prolific mind you at propagating as the other trees on my lot but a few over the last six years so can't be that difficult to start from seed. Hopefully the tree experts will jump in now.

Les
    ps prunus padas anyone? I weed them out by the hundreds every spring.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Seed from a single Blue Spruce is unlikely to give good germination (due to inbreeding). If there are several others nearby for cross-pollination, then the seed will be much better.

The seeds need some cold, moist pre-treatment; give them a month or two in sterilised damp (not dripping wet!) sand in the fridge at +1 or +2°. Then sow in a well-drained sandy soil mix in pots. Plant out toward the end of summer; make sure the newly planted seedlings are protected from rodents, etc. They will only grow a few cm tall in their first year, and have smaller needles than on adult trees at first.

5. Lojza

Lojza Member

6. Kasimir

Kasimir Member

Thank you for that link Lojza. That is very helpful. It lays the process out very clearly.