Growing an apple from seed

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Gardenlover, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Gardenlover

Gardenlover Active Member

How does this work. I have some apple seeds from an apple that has been eaten and then I keep the seeds from it, dry them out and pot them up?
    Not looking to grow a tree, just curious on the practice.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Yes, dry them and then plant them.

However, you'll want to note that your chances of getting the apple you ate from the tree you grow are something like 1/100,000. Most commercial eating apples are grown from grafted branches, not original stock.

3. Gardenlover

I hear you...

how long do the seeds have to be dried, how do you know when they are ready to plant?

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

One week is a good baseline, then plant away.

5. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

This reminds me of one of our kids. Each day he'd eat an apple an go and plant the seed. I hated the idea of discouraging his interest by telling him that it won't work, being apples from cold climate. I brought home 2 tropical Eisenheimer apples for his birthady about 3 or 4 years ago. They have established well and the fruit fly beat us this year but we'll have some nice fruit next year :}
    I might get the kids planting the seed of one, to see if they will germinate, as the delicious seed that the young fella was planting never did germinate. I guess they'll have a chance of seeing them fruit. Grafting is done to achieve fruiting earlier and maintain the quality of the fruit alike. Because apples cross pollinate (hence my 2 plants sometimes different species are needed), you could end up with either better fruit or worse I guess, but as Lorax pointed out you may not get to see them.

6. Gardenlover

I heard that the seeds have to be chilled for 6 weeks in the refrigerator in a ziplock bag with peat moss.

7. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Peat keeps seed from drying out under refrigeration. Which brings up the point that drying the seed before planting may not be desirable, I'd check on this before doing it. Some kinds of seeds enter a dormancy if dried between harvest and planting, making germination less quickly and easily achieved.

9. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Both of the links I put up definitely recommend wrapping them in wet paper towels so they do not dry out.

10. Pipestone

Pipestone Active Member

I have grown hundreds and I just plant the seeds in a yogurt container with drainage holes punched in the bottom and half filled with dirt. Cover with 1/2 inch of dirt, place in a plastic bag in the bottom of your fridge for 6 weeks, pull out and place in a warm space and watch them grow. I don't usually dry my seeds as I find that not nearly as many germinate if they have been dried first. If you collect seeds from grocery store apples in Jan/Feb, you can even skip the cold stratification step as apparently cold storage since harvest has already done that for you.