Growing Albizia julibrissin 'Summer Chocolate' in a container

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Justine M, May 2, 2010.

1. Justine M

Justine M Active Member

I purchased this small 3-1/2' tree last year and put it in the ground late last fall. It is so late in leafing out (just little nubs of green on the trunk - not even leaves yet - and we had such an early spring this year!), that I am reconsidering its location in my garden.

My backyard, dominated by a 75 year old Norway spruce is small and it's to the north of my house. I just don't think the Albizia will get enough sun to achieve what I had hoped. I envisioned it growing quickly and creating an 8-10' diameter of umbrella of shade within three years. Clearly I am an optimist!!

I am now thinking of putting it back into a pot and growing it as a lovely fern-like shrub that I can position in the sunniest part of the patio. I wont feel frustrated if it takes decades to reach 7 feet.

Would any of you have experience in growing this particular plant in a container? Assuming it's possible, is it like a Japanese maple in that it's okay for the roots to be contained, or does it have a wide rooting habit? What kind of soil should I have in a container for this tree and how often should I expect to have to re-pot it. What size of pot? What kind of growth should I expect in the next 3, 5 and 10 years?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. Justine M

Justine M Active Member

To simplify the question, could you please let me know if Sea Soil potting soil alone will be fine for potting up this albizia?

Thanks!

3. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    I have never tried an Albizia julibrissin as a bonsai but sounds interesting. The size of the pot would be the first consideration to take into account just for practical purposes. As in portability and the fact you would have to root prune and change the soil every one or two years depending on how vigorous the plant is. From what I've read on the Wikipedia site the best variety to try is Albizia julibrissim f. rosea. It's smaller and has a better cold tolerance than most of the other varieties. The soil you use should suit the natural growing conditions for this plant. It's slightly alkaline 7.6 to 7.8 and on the dryer side. You might also want to try growing some from seeds as a backup. Here are three links you might what to look at before you try.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albizia_julibrissin
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56536/
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0420085231701.html

4. Justine M

Justine M Active Member

Thank you for the leads!

5. Justine M

Justine M Active Member

Hey Greg!

Wow, that link http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...085231701.html
    is unbelievable! I've been sending it around to my gardening buddies. So much terrific information about concocting one's own soil for containers. I especially appreciated the scientific explanations of how water works in pots, how putting stones in the bottom of containers is actually silly, etc. Thanks!

I had to get it into the soil asap, so I chose to go with a larger black ceramic pot and regular sea soil potting soil for containers. After reading your other links, I now know that the plant prefers dry to overly moist so will water according.

Now I need suggestions for plants to have in the pot around the stick, offering early spring interest and massing that is more proportional. I was thinking heath, sedum,

The pot I have used is maybe 16 or 18" in diameter, and although the Albizia is about 3.5 feet high, it mostly presents as a stick! So even though the little leaves are just starting to grow from the stick (1/4 inch long!) it looks ridiculous in this big pot. My husband is making fun of me!

What plants might I grow at the base of the tree to fill the pot and eliminate the stick in the dirt look it currently has and will have each spring?

I am considering zonal geraniums like Mr. Henry Cox, or drumstick primula, or heath. But these come up after looking at images on the internet, not from seeing them in real life. Any suggestions?

6. Lydia532

Lydia532 Member

Here in Bellevue Wa we have a few mature Albizia's in the neighborhood. They are one of the last trees to leaf out in late spring/early summer.

7. Justine M

Justine M Active Member

Hi Lydia, have you ever noticed if they are underplanted?

8. Lydia532

Lydia532 Member

None of them are and I think that they are heavy feeders. I don't know much about them except for what I have observed as a passer by. They leaf out late; if cut down will come back with suckers; grow very fast once established, seem to be short lived when it comes to tree life expectancy (30-40yrs?); have a large umbrella shape; glorious blooms; yellow fall color. (not the Summer Chocolate). As I said, all this is just from observation of trees in my neighborhood over the past 8 years. Hope it is helpful.

9. Justine M

Justine M Active Member

It is. Thanks!