growers of heirloom tomatoes and melons in the greenhouse

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by seachange, Nov 13, 2009.

1. seachange

seachange Member

I just finished harvesting a late crop of heirloom tomatoes from my greenhouse (finished Nov 8). These were started in late June/early July for a late season harvest, and grown organically in a medium of soil, peat and manure - fertilized only with fish emulsion, seaweed extract, etc. Note, I am zone 5b.

This was my first experiment with heirlooms in a greenhouse for a delayed season. I am looking for other growers who are growing heirloom tomatoes in a greenhouse so we can compare notes.

I am also interested in doing some heirloom melons in the greenhouse next year and would like any experiences other heirloom growers have had with different heirloom melons they have grown this way

Cheers.

2. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Greenhouse growing of tomatoes is the way to go! We also do peppers. We do grow melons, not in our hoophouse/greenhouse, but in a cloche. Where I work, we grow melons in a high tunnel. Biggest issue with melons is that they require pollination, usually by honeybees, and honeybees do not like flying into a greenhouse. At home, when the melons flower, we pull the poly on the cloche up to the top so the melons are essentially outside during the day, lowering the poly again at night. At the farm, we push the sides of the tunnel up to 8' during the day to encourage the bees. We also only grow melons along the outside of the tunnel, with the self fertile peppers in the center. Personal favorite heirloom melon for performance under poly is Ha'ogen.