Grow sweet corn in patio containers

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by bullseye, May 21, 2008.

1. bullseye

bullseye Active Member

2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Looks a bit like the nonsense of growing upside down tomatoes. But I will withhold judgement until I see the pictures of the produce, and incremental growing stages. I suggest it was a slow day at the Star. Now this story will be spread all over the internet, with nobody actually seeing the produce.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  3. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

I grew corn in containers just as a very pleasant ornamental. The stalks are lovely, grow reliably and sound lovely rustling in the breeze.

I did get corn (not much as I crowded the stalks), but because the cobs are wind pollinated, you need to create a fairly large corner of corn (ie several massed pots) to generate good conditions. You can try hand pollinating.

My pots were half compost and mushroom manure as I rightly predicted corn is a heavy feeder.

But I think you would have trouble potting up enough to get any kind of crop. At one or two ears a stalk, you need a lot of corn plants to generate a corn feast.