Grafting Sources

Discussion in 'Maples' started by mlherr, Oct 31, 2004.

1. mlherr

mlherr Member

I would like to get started in grafting maples and conifers. Are there nurseries/companies that sell rootstock and supplies to individuals?

Thanks

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

rootstock and supplies

m-the problem I've found is getting started...suppliers want to sell several hundred $ and several hundred rootstocks of any particular variety, minimum.

I've started my own, but the big grafting places here buy rootstocks, to produce the uniform crop that makes them the most money and happiest customers.

Also supplies come in such large quantities, I'm just planning on trying to get by with cutting up rubber bands, and using floral tape and pruning spray paint until I am doing large enough numbers to make a reasonable order from one of the suppliers.

Hopefully others have found better solutions for this "beginner's quandary" but this has been my conclusion from a few years of looking around in this area. Should be fun anyway, right?

Glen

3. AcerBob

AcerBob Member

Hi M. The best source I have found is Backyardseedlings.com. You can order 5 seedlings or 500. It doesnt matter. You can also choose the height of the seedlings, from 6 in to 3 ft. I have ordered from these guys before. The shipping is somewhat haphazard, but the little guys are in good shape on arrival.
    Thanks Bob