Girlfriend's Lemon Tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Seamus, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Seamus

Seamus Active Member

Hi,

My girlfriend has a Lemon tree that she bought in June of this year. She has it in here kitchen under a 45w compact fluoro bulb. Recently some of the leaves started to turn yellow, the veins are still green however. I suggested she move it to her front window where it would get some better light, and use the bulb as supplimentary light but I think its a nutrient problem. She has been feeding it with some old 10-15-10 she had at 1/2 strength once a month for the past while but I'm getting here something higher in N tomorrow. To me though it doesn't sound like a N deficiency, all the yellowing is on the new growth so I'm guessing trace nutrients, maybe Manganese or Iron??? Would some seaweed extract feedings solve her problem?

Critique on my analysis would be great!!! Thanks!

- James

2. Seamus

Seamus Active Member

Heres a picture with the obvious problems areas circled in red.

Attached Files:

3. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

It looks like iron deficiency, often caused when the pH is too high.

Here is a link to a webpage on deficiencies in citrus:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/CH142

As for the fertilizer, container grown citrus need fertilizer with an NPK ratio of 5-1-3. They also need a variety of trace minerals. You should try to find a fertilizer designed for citrus with trace minerals. (You may also have to add Mg in the form of Epsom salt if it is not in the fertilizer or trace mineral mix you use-- dissolve a Tbs in warm water and dilute to 1 gallon to use for watering.)

pH of you soil should be 6 to 6.5 for citrus.

Skeet

4. Seamus

Seamus Active Member

Thanks for the info! It really helped. When I go out tomorrow I'll get some pH test papers, a good trace mineral fertilizer as well as a better NPK fertilizer with the correct ratio. I wish I could find a complete citrus fertilizer but chances of that in the area I live are slim...

5. Seamus

Seamus Active Member

We tested the pH, 5.5 erggg... We also watered with a trace elements solution which will hopefully bring the plant back into a healthy condition. Whats the best way to increase acidity in a potted citrus? Also will we see the symptoms of Iron deficiency fade away over the next few weeks or will we have to wait for new growth to judge the effectiveness of the fertilization? Should we fert with the trace minerals more then once to fend off the deficiency or would that risk nutrient burn? Thanks a bunch!

6. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

5.5 is not really that low for citrus though 6.0 to 6.5 would be better. You can add a small amount of dolomite limestone to raise the pH if you want. For container plants, I am not sure of the quantity you would need, but I would go slow-- add just a sprinkling over the soil. It will take time to dissolve-- so don't expect pH to change immediately-- it may take up to several months for the limestone to dissolve.

As for the leaf color change it should just fade over time as the plant is able to take up the minerals and send it where it is needed.

7. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

BTW -- a change in pH from 5.5 to 6.5 is a decrease in acidity -- and an increase in alkalinity

8. oscar

oscar Active Member

you really know how to confuse ppl,
    then your saying, you need to raise the ph????
    Iron deficiency is often associated with a higher ph, 7 or higher..........5.5 would have been ok to make Iron available......Seamus, buy some citrus fertilizer and follow the instructions.

9. Seamus

Seamus Active Member

Hahaha it was just a brain-fart when I mentioned acidity, I was thinking different when I should have typed that I wanted a more alkaline soil. I was over today to check and a lot of the leaves seem to be gaining their green back, I guess one application turned out to be enough. We have some lime out at the barn I work at (great for horse wounds). I'll just get a film canister full of that and sprinkle a wee bit on the soil before she waters it next and see if theres a pH change in a month or so. Thanks for your help Skeeter.

Oscar, I would buy a citrus specific but I can't find any in my area. I've checked all over but no luck. I bought a good liquid NPK fert. that is pretty close to 5-1-3 and the trace minerals powder has high Fe an Mg percentage. I went to a hydroponics store to get this stuff and the guy also recommended Super Thrive for everything I have that "Grows green under the sun" so maybe I'll pic up a tiny bottle of that as well.

10. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Seamus, be aware that "lime" and limestone are not always the same, although some people use the terms interchangably. Limestone, or powdered limestone more correctly as the name implies is simply ground up limestone rock. "Lime" is the term usually used to describe slaked limestone-- same rock material after it has been heated to decompose the hydrated form found in nature and produce a much faster acting and much more alkaline material. "Lime" can damage the plant if it contacts the leaves directly.

Skeet

11. Seamus

Seamus Active Member

No worries, I know there is a difference between natural limestone and industrial lime and I would have checked before using any on the lemon, but there wasn't any at the stables anyways.