Ginkgo growth problem

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by sunsnail, May 7, 2006.

1. sunsnail

sunsnail Member

Hello everyone, I recently bought a small ginkgo tree but I have noticed that it is not growing much at all.

Here's is a picture from April 17th
    [​IMG]

and here's a picture from May 6th
    http://www.sunsnailtech.com/plants/05-06-06/ginkgo.jpg

I believe the ginkgo should be growing faster than this... any suggestions?

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

All my container grown Ginkgo don't grow that fast at all, i got some 6/7 year olds that are only about 3-4' high.

3. sunsnail

sunsnail Member

Do you think the problem could be because it's root-bound?

4. oscar

oscar Active Member

nope, that pot looks plenty big enough........any bigger and it could slow it even more, i have found many plants dont do too much top growth if they have loads of root room....how long has it been in that pot?

5. sunsnail

sunsnail Member

It's been in that pot since about March 25th

6. oscar

oscar Active Member

if you mean this year, then there is no way its potbound/root bound already..........there are some Ginkgos in china that are reported to be 1800 years old, so i dont think they rush to do anything...........growth rate on young trees will be slow for the first few years, i seem to recall mine hardly grew at all for a couple of years, they then did start to speed up a little............optimum growth in containers is not easy, a dry spell will check growth, running low on a particular mineral etc will all slow growth down........all my compost is pre-mixed with a control release fertilizer added at the rate for outdoor Nursery stock, the trees are on trickle line irrigation run on timers, the longer it takes me to grow a plant the more it costs........so if mine didnt grow that fast with all that technology in place, then i dont think yours is going to grow really quickly, hopefully it will out live all of us here, so enjoy watching it grow, even if it is at a rather relaxed pace.

7. sunsnail

sunsnail Member

Well, thanks for all your help. I suppose as long as its healthy I'll just let it do its own thing.

8. oscar

oscar Active Member