Giant Maidenhair Advice Please

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by kall, Feb 17, 2005.

1. kall

kall Member

Hello there,

We received a Giant Maidenhair Fern for xmas from my father.

Where it used to live, it had fresh, untreated mountain water to drink, now it lives in the city with us, and I am a little worried about this.

Some of the leaves have begun developing brown tips, not all of them though, but it is a little concerning.

What's the general rule to Maidenhairs?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Kall,

Your fern doesn't look happy. I suspect it's not getting enough humidity. From this site:
    http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1505.htm

"Ferns may develop brown leaves or leaflets at low humidity. This is especially common on ferns with thin, delicate fronds, such as maidenhairs."

This site says:
    http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1082/is_n4_v39/ai_17114335

"The delicate, fan-shaped leaflets of maidenhair ferns, Adiantum, are pale green and shimmer above shiny black stems. Indoors the tender varieties thrive in the low light of a north or east window, and they demand high humidity; hot, dry air is a real problem for maidenhair ferns. Increase humidity for these indoor plants by installing a humidifier or setting the plant on a tray filled with pebbles and water. Dropping leaves, brownish edges and wilting indicate insufficient water, and pale or yellow fronds along with wilting are signs of overwatering.

More than 200 maidenhair fern species exist, including a few hardy sorts that are not suitable as indoor specimens. Among the easiest to grow indoors are the Venus hair fern (A. capillus-veneris), a robust plant with large, tall fronds; and the fan maidenhair (A. tenerum), with airy bright green foliage on wire-thin black stems."

Newt

3. kall

kall Member

Thanks for the info and links newt. :)

I am also considering the fact that it *was* transported over 200 miles in the back seat of the car, then another trip across town when I moved house a month ago.

Perhaps it just need a lot of TLC and a settling in period. :)

4. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Kall, you are very welcome! It sure sounds like your fern's travels have taken it's toll on your plant. I agree, some trimming, humidity and a comfy home and all should be fine again.

Congratulations on your new home!

Good luck,
    Newt