germinating Lantana camara seeds

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by rcurtis, Feb 3, 2009.

1. rcurtis

rcurtis Member

I have a couple lantana plants with ripe fruit and would like to know how to germinate the seed in the fruit.
    Ron

2. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

If you were in Australia I'd call you mad, (they are a noxious weed here), however thanks to this forum I know the plant is controlled by the cold weather, I have learned even the nastiest plant can have a viable home.
    The way they spread is by seed here so I'd imagine they'd strike pretty easily if you kept them moist and warm. They are also easily grown from cuttings. I'd suggest removing fleshy part of fruit and placing seeds just below surface of soil. I'd say you'll get a pretty good strike rate.

3. rcurtis

rcurtis Member

Thanks for the comments.Lantana is certainly a major problem in a lot of warm climates.I recall seeing them20 ft.high and a trunk of 4-6inches in Madagascar where they were ubiquitous.Dr.Deno has a lot to say about fruit-covered seeds but he does not cover Lantana.I would assume from his book I would have to wash the seeds but have no idea how much or how long.
    Ron

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

It's native here and we curse it every day. As Chungii says, you'll probably have great luck just sowing the seed in some sterile soil - I've certainly had no end of seeds sprouting because the birds deposited them. You don't really have to wash the seeds any longer than it takes to get the last of the juice off them, after you remove the flesh. And if they're ripe berries, you can remove the flesh by eating it.