Garlic inside

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Latanante, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Latanante

Latanante New Member

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has ever grown garlic inside thru the winter. I tried a few years ago, planting them in the fall and NOTHING came up the spring after. I figured they all rotted or something. So i wanted to try them inside this year (under a grow light). I bought some garlic mennonite. Should i put them in the fridge for a few weeks and then plant them?

Any thoughts or tips?

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Garlic can grow without stratification. Garlic needs lots of light, if you want to get big cloves. So I think it is not feasible to grow it indoors. Just plant it outdoors into well drained soil.
    If you have wet winter season, then plant garlic in the spring. Then you may get somewhat smaller cloves, but rotting would be unlikely.
    Some garlic varieties are more suitable for your climate. Ask locals for recommendations.

3. Latanante

Latanante New Member

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Garlic grows satisfactorily when planted in the spring in Vancouver. Just plant it as soon as the soil can be worked. You could try pre-sprouting it indoors before planting and then covering it with clear plastic to give it a head start. I'm not sure if this will work as far north as Whitehorse, but it won't hurt to try it.

5. Latanante

Latanante New Member

Thank you... it was an awful growing season here.. so much rain. May is when the earth is warm enough..

6. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Garlic does not need soil to be warm. As soon as it is not frozen any more, you can plant it. For growing large heads, the sooner the better.

7. Latanante

Latanante New Member

Good to know, thanks