Garden-oriented travel

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by wynn, Jun 14, 2007.

1. wynn

wynn Active Member 10 Years

I am looking for inspiration and others' experience with garden oriented travel. I have a goal to see as many wonderful classic and modern gardens as possible in as many places as possible before I become compost myself (hopefully a good many years in future!). I just don't know where to begin -- I want to see everything! The camellia and rhododendron forests of China, gardens of France and Italy, Portugal and Spain, the gardens of England, Scotland and Wales, modernistic/artistic gardens, naturalistic gardens of the Dutch, ancient gardens of Israel and Budapest...you see my problem. I have enough airmiles to go anywhere but I need help! Has anyone had extraordinary experience with garden travel they would like to share. I would certainly appreciate knowing about it! I want to start planning for next year. Thank you so much!.

Wynn

2. Laughing Dog

Laughing Dog Active Member

I would be interested in other people's experiences regarding 'garden oriented' travel as well, my wife and I are at the stage where we wish to travel more but hate the traditional "touristy" thing. With our growing love for gardening and the sheer beauty of experiencing historical gardens around the world - this sounds like an ideal way to 'plan' for a great travel adventure. It would be terrific if there was a Lonely Planet Guide to historical gardens around the world!

3. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

4. Laughing Dog

Laughing Dog Active Member

Thanks Newt, much appreciated ...

5. Newt

Steve, you are very welcome! Enjoy your travels.

Newt

6. wynn

wynn Active Member 10 Years

Thank you so much for those links, Newt. I will enjoy the research!

Wynn

7. Newt

Wynn, you are very welcome too! Enjoy!

Newt

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

For China specifically, you might look into: Gardens in China by Peter Valder

9. chuckrkc

chuckrkc Active Member

For China, you might contact the folks at Pacific Rim Nursery (http://www.hillkeep.ca/travel.htm). They have sponsored study tours that sound interesting. Paige Woodward is giving a talk on her travels to China in the KC area this fall, so I may know more about the trips she puts together then.

With Vancouver at the top of my list of places to visit, just under it is a visit to the fabled Longwood Garden, Winterthur and the dozens of horticultural places in the region. Tony Avent's place must be seen, I am sure. The fern collection at Perimeter College in Georgia.

That's my 2 cents' worth. I don't need change.

10. mrtree

mrtree Active Member

An incredible botanical garden is the Lancetilla Botanical Gardens in Tela, Honduras. They are apparently the second largest tropical botanical garden in the world, have the worlds largest collection of tropical fruiting trees, a great palm, orchid and tree collection and happen to be one of the single best birding spots in Central America.

The place is rather primitive by first world standard but is a must see for the tree and fruit enthusiast. Accomidation can be had on site or ten minutes away in Tela.

11. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years