Ganoderma or Fomes or Trametes or others?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by ademutia, Nov 13, 2013.

1. ademutia

ademutia New Member

Hallo there can someone tell me what the difference between Ganoderma, Fomes, and Trametes? and what their characteristics? and in this pictures which one ganoderma, trametes or fomes? Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Greetings!

I can provide some answers regarding members of these genera that are found in my region (west coast north america). However I've not investigated yet whether these characters also apply to members of these genera in other parts of the globe. So, I'll try to find some answers and get back to you.

In the meantime, information about what kinds of trees each of these is growing on can be useful, as in whether hardwood or conifer, but its possible that specific tree species ID may also be useful.

Also, I'm wondering about the texture of the mushroom in photo #4: Is it flexible rather than hard/leathery? If it is relatively soft, that could mean it is a cheese polypore (eg. Tyromyces, Postia, Oligoporus and etc).

Lastly, when you scratch the underside/pore surface of any of your specimens, does it bruise a different colour, eg. brown/black or red?

cheers,
    frog