Ganjasaki

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kines, Sep 19, 2022.

1. kines

kines Active Member

Hopefully the comparison of the appearance of Japanese maple leaves to marijuana leaves is not considered to be too passé here, my apologies if so. But I just had to share this photo of a seedling I've been raising for a few years now. I think you'll agree it looks more like marijuana than any known cultivar, at least that I know of! My post's title is the name I propose giving it once I register it. Ha.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    emery, maf and AlainK like this.
  2. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

@kines every time I have visiters over that's the first thing they ask. Pretty common question /comparison for me. Nice maple btw. What does the name mean?

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Ganja is one of the many local names for marijuana (from Jamaica?). And I read from Vertrees & Gregory that "saki" means tip, point.

I once asked my brother in law to water my plants when I was on holidays. When I came back, he said with a suspicious look that he also watered my marijuana plants. <LOL> they were about my first palmatum seedlings, at the time I was just starting to collect maples...

emery and LoverOfMaples like this.
  4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I was asked to select a JM for a friend this past summer, but she said "not one that the leaves look like pot!" Well, that narrows it down!

AlainK and LoverOfMaples like this.