Furry White Substance

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by lmaclean, Jun 16, 2009.

1. lmaclean

lmaclean Member

Hello,

I have a plant/tree that has a growth mainly on the underside of the leaves. This furry white substance seems to be causing yellowing and browning of the leaves. The plant is potted and located on the balcony. Actually, there are two of the same kind of plants and the other is doing okay for now. I have set the infected plant apart from my other plants. Also tried a solution of baking soda, dish liquid and water that I sprayed the entire plant with and it didn't help.

Any suggestions? I'd really like to avoid chemicals if at all possible.

Thanks so much.

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Mealy bugs, maybe. Try a q-tip dipped in alcohol to wipe them off. Rinse your plant well. Permanent bug eviction may take several repetitions.

3. lmaclean

lmaclean Member

Thanks, I'll try q-tip and rubbing alcohol.

4. honolua

honolua Active Member

Hi,
    Looks like it could be spider mites (microscopic). They tend to like newer growth and young leaves. They may also form some strands or webbing between leaves as well. If you don't want chemicals, you can take it further out on the patio and give it a VERY good spritzing of soapy water on the top and underside of leaves (plus wipe off leaves with a lot of webbing). Repeat this at least a few times a week for the first month and see if that works. Someone else may know of another trick.
    Cheers,

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

although it does look like it, mealies tend to congregate near the base of the leaves near the stem...and spider mites leave visible webbing on the upper part of new growth, no white stuff on the flat part of the leaves.

i'd say it's some kind of fungal issue. powdery mildew or the like. or it could be some kind of bug or mite that is endemic to your area.

what is the plant?? knowing that would give a direction to go in with google - doing a search for diseases that affect such-n-such plant...

6. lmaclean

lmaclean Member

Right it could be fungal. I'm not 100% sure what the name of the tree is though, from what I've seen, it may be a variety of ficus.

Thanks, being a Canadian expat here in HK, I do not know any plant enthusiasts in the area yet. Appreciate your suggestions.