Identification: Fungus in Potted Plant

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Mycos, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Mycos

Mycos Active Member

But not our old friend, Leucocoprinus birnbaumii.

I was asked by a someone through that Yahoo Answers forum what the identity of this little guy might be, and beyond "an LBM", I'm not sure what kind of an answer to give him. But since it's growing in a potted plant, I feel it might deserve a second look by the rest of you here....see if anyone can give him a better answer than mine. I'm hoping that it's appearence in a plant pot might be something others have run across and is also common to the species...a kind of runner-up to L. birnbaumii.

Anyhow, here's a link to the yahoo page where he's posted another half-dozen or so photos, with a couple of the underside that he managed to take at my request. He went to so much trouble that I feel I owe him more than the "LBM" brush-off <g>, so any help would be much appreciated.

http://tinyurl.com/2a2bxe

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...nWXKKI7sy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20080224052202AA5MQZd

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

We need a spore print color to narrow the field of LBM's - hopefully you are still able to take one. It shouldn't take more than 3 hours with a little mushroom like that.

I'd like you to look at the portion of the stem near the cap and see if it is any particular color - you can use a magnifying glass if nothing is obvious and if you have one.

Also, is there a ring on the stalk? If there is, let us know. Also, sometimes the spores will adhere to the ring and you can sometimes gather some helpful info from that.

Lastly, and partially out of curiosity, what kind of plant is it?

3. Mycos

Mycos Active Member

I'll turn this thread over to the fellow asking the original question.