Fungus Gnats and Fungi in newly opened bag of potting mix of

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by pinenut, Apr 18, 2012.

1. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

Here's something to be on the lookout for: We just opened a bag of Miracle Gro Moisture Control Potting Mix 0.18-0.10-0.10 with something called Aqua Coir technology.
    It contained three very pale green mushroom-like bodies and some fungus gnats.
    My sundews aren't old enough to deal with them yet, so should I just chuck the whole bag or is there a way to sterilize it?
    Carl

2. mrsubjunctive

mrsubjunctive Active Member

Boiling water?

And yes, Miracle Gro always contains fungus gnats. Always always always. I suspect bags of Miracle Gro are the natural habitat of fungus gnats.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

I was curious too, so I called Scotts re their potting mix. A nice young lady answered and said, "no they don't sterilize their potting mix, and the fungus gnats could be a problem. I told her what you said Mr sub. and she giggled. She said to put a 1/2 inch of sand on the top of the soil to seal it (gnats can't get thru or breath (?) thru the sand) and they will suffocate and die". Hummmm!

When I ask her about sterilizing the soil she said their recomendation was to place 4 inches of soil in a baking pan, seal it with foil and place it in an oven on the lowest heat. She recomended using a meat thermometer. When the temp gets to between 82 & 93 degrees let stay for half an hour, then turn the oven off and leave it for 24 hrs. She also recomended gnat traps - a bowl of cider vinegar or a piece of very ripe fruit covered tightly with plastic film. Poke tiny holes (gnat sized) in the top of the wrap. Gnats will get in to feed and then can't get out. I love calling Companies and letting them know the problems we are having with their products. barb

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  4. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

Diatomaceous Earth (if I spelled that correctly), even though it looks as smooth as talc, apparently has extremely sharp edges. A layer of this near the top of your soil will slice open the bug or the larva so I'm told.
    I'm happy to do this if I get an infestation accidentally, but I'll be darned if I'll self-inflict with a bag full of the little nasties.
    Carl