Fruit tree spray?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Eyeris, May 3, 2006.

1. Eyeris

Eyeris Active Member

Please help...My last visit to the garden store I asked a lot of questions about fruit trees. We have apples, pears, cherry, plum and peach trees. We sprayed the dormant spray last month and then we were also told to purchase a product called Fruit Plus for fruit trees. I wanted to know more information on this spray....is it a good idea to use? Is there anything else we should be doing right now. If anyone has a fruit tree "timeline" for spraying and care that would be really helpful.
    We moved into the house well past the growing season last year so this is all new to me. All I know is that the peaches didn't do so well (leaf curl) , the plums had a serious aphid problem and two of the apple trees had beautiful apples but before they were ready they all turned brown and soggy and fell to the ground swarmed by bees!!!
    Thank for any advice!!

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Spraying by a calendar or by past experience (well my dad did it so I will keep doing it) is not really the best approach. monitor your plants regularly, identify potential prpblems, pest or disease, then look at your mitigation options. If the pest is at an unnaceptable level, a control product may be the best option. Also, check your local bylaws, there are a number of places in Canada that have outright banned pesticide use for cosmetic purposes.