frost damage

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by riptidefrog, Feb 10, 2007.

1. riptidefrog

riptidefrog Active Member

Hey everybody i have a problem with a new plant i bought. The plant is a variegated english ivy and i bought it yesterday night. i planned to run quickly to my car to prevent any damage to the plant by the cold but i was delayed by a friend for a few minutes. By the time i got home te plan was showing signs of wilting. Today all of the leaves are wilting so im sure that the leaves are goners. My question is this.....How much hope should i have that the plant itself remains alive? Can the ivy withstand frost at all? Any info or advice greatly apreciated. Thanks

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It will tolerate fairly severe cold when dormant, down to something like -25°C, but not if it is suddenly put into cold conditions after having been in active growth in a warm location. All the same, I'd say there's a very good chance it will resprout from the base even if the top is killed.

3. riptidefrog

riptidefrog Active Member

Thanks alot. I do think the plant is going to have significant dieback. The vines themselves are now showing signs of wear and tear. Hope it sprouts from the base. Thanks again.