Frontyard Tree Search

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by angbarnes, Apr 24, 2009.

1. angbarnes

angbarnes Member

I am looking for a small but shady tree for my not-so-large frontyard. I don't want one that grows much taller than 35'-40'. I live in a one level home and I want the tree to coordinate well and not overpower the house. My husband takes pride in his lawn so I need one with deep roots as to not destroy his hard work. I've been searching for hours on the internet hoping to find that perfect tree. Any suggestions?

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Do you care if it fruits? Do you just want an ornamental? Where is Milford (I'm thinking Connecticut, but I really have no idea.)? What USDA Zone?

Off the top of my head, I'd reccomend a Mountain Ash (Sorbus americanus) if you want an ornamental tree, and an Apple tree if you want looks and fruit. Other than that, we need to know where you are to know what to reccomend.

3. angbarnes

angbarnes Member

Yeah, I guess a lil info. on my part would help. Milford is in southern Utah (Zone 5). It's about 95 miles north of St. George. We have hot dry summers (100-110F) and get quite a bit of snow in the winter. During the summer we get pretty strong winds. Most of the trees here tend to lean a little bit. I'd rather not have a fruit tree. I am looking more for a shade tree that I could make a lil flower bed around. I have taken a picture of the frontyard...just trying to figure out how to put it on here.

4. angbarnes

angbarnes Member

Here is a picture of the front yard from across the street. I want to plant the tree on the right side.

Attached Files:

• 184.jpg
      184.jpg
      File size:
      114.7 KB
      Views:
  5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

You can train lilacs into shade trees, with a bit of effort and pruning. However, with your high heat and lots of snow, you probably need to look at a drought-hardy tree that you can protect in the wintertime until it's well established.

Russian Olive (Eleagenus angustifolia) is a nice, mid-height tree that's both drought and cold resistant. The ones in Canada (Z3a) where I used to live made lovely sprawling canopies.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'd put a small (15'-35') tree to the right of the front door, rather than at the right corner of the house. A medium (35'-60') tree would probably be too much for that spot. Give it a bed to grow in instead of trying to have grass come right up to it.

You might want to hire a garden designer to help you plan your outdoor living spaces, including bed shapes and planting layouts. Probably one or two other trees could be fit on the lot without a cluttered effect being produced. These could be chosen and placed in relation to the tree in front of the house, maybe to form a triangle, with a larger one in the back yard.

7. angbarnes

angbarnes Member

Thank you for your responses. I am horrible at making decisions and rely alot on outside advice. I have found a couple different mid-sized trees that I am interested in. They are Eastern Redbud, Forest Pansy Redbud, Pink Flowering Dogwood, and Sourwood. Does anyone have any information about these trees?

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Those are all small trees, although the sourwood sometimes pushes up into the medium height range after many years. All are favored ornamentals, but perhaps not all grow in your location. If you aren't familiar with the popular Sunset Western Garden Book, have a look at that. The plant encyclopedia part will show if the writer who worked on that section thinks any of these will grow in your Sunset climate zone, provide other details of each.

9. angbarnes

angbarnes Member

Thanks Ron B. I found them all on NatureHills.com. It saids all should grow in zone5, but I look more into it. I've never ordered of a website before...have you?

10. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

I wouldn't try growing any of these four trees -- Eastern Redbud, Forest Pansy Redbud, Pink Flowering Dogwood, and Sourwood -- in Utah.

These are all eastern North American forest trees. Their preferences in soil and shelter and rainfall would make them unsuitable for an exposed western site.

Ron's suggestion to check out the Sunset book is good advice. There are also online vendors and other sources of information about plants native to your region. Here are a few:

Native Plant Sources: Utah

Native plants from the Santa Ana Pueblo Nursery

Plants of the Southwest

Top 10 Native Plants for the Southwest

Water Wise Trees for the Southwest

11. Yubalover

Yubalover Member

Hi Utah, I know the area where you live very well and have experienced all the variations of climate that you described. Let me add, I am NOT an experienced gardener outside my own veggie garden and am learning myself, however I felt I should respond to the comment above about not planting dogwood or red bud, etc. as the author says they are eastern plants. I completely disagree! I live in northern California about as west as it gets and I have both dogwood and red-bud native plants in my acre of land. Both are native plants to this area and prolific and low maintenance. And BEAUTIFUL! My weather climate is 90 to 100 degree summers and snow every winter. These plants love living here and grow wild throughout the forests here.

Good luck!

Yuba

12. angbarnes

angbarnes Member

Hi Yuba, thanks. I guess we only get experienced by trying, right? Out of the four trees I listed my husband only liked the Sourwood. It is only $16.00, so I think I will just try it out and see.

13. Yubalover

Yubalover Member

Sounds great! I'll be interested in hearing how it turns out!

Yuba