For The Brains Of UBC.

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by KENNETH5636, Jun 22, 2008.

1. KENNETH5636

KENNETH5636 Active Member

How does one propogate Sambuca plants as per photo?

Regards,

KEN.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Stem cuttings. Surf "sambucus propagation". Note that cultivar shown is probably protected.

3. KENNETH5636

Thanks "Brains"!

Er,......um,.....er,......Protected from what "Brains"?

Sorry if my reply sounds like I'm a thicko!

Bestest regards,

KEN.

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

This looks Sambucus nigra 'Black Lace' or a similar new cultivar. 'Black Lace' is a registered, trademarked plant. It would be illegal to propagate a trademarked cultivar without permission from the trademark holder.

5. KENNETH5636

O.K!

Just as well I sent off for one from a nursery over here! (£7.98p inc post etc)

I dunno if the Sambuca Nigra Eva (Black Lace) is protected over here? (U.K)

I have just discovered our Garden Guru (B.B.C Garden club gives info on how to propagate it without any mention of it being "Protected")! And, being that an establishment such as the British Broadcasting Company does not warn that it is a "Protected" plant, (Which they most definitely would) perhaps the protection does not apply over here (U.K), although I would have expected that the "Protection" (Patent)?? would be world wide!!............Odd??

Quite a few gardens over here have them, as to whether they were "Bought" or propagated,.......How would one tell???

Look forward to your comments on this one!

Bestest regards,

KEN.

6. Eric La Fountaine

I doubt that the issue ever comes up for home gardeners, but if someone starts selling their propagations it might.

7. KENNETH5636

I doubt that the issue ever comes up for home gardeners, but if someone starts selling their propagations it might.

Agreed Eric!

But, as I have posed questions relating to propagation on this website before, why has the warning of "Copyright" whatever etc reared it's head now, as from my past and present missives it's fairly obvious that I am a home amateur gardener!

(A professional Gardener/Business would not need to ask the propagation question on a forum such as this, they would have the necessary wherewithal/experience to get the info outside of this forum)!

I have the distinct feeling that someone is "Filling their Boots", as we say over here!

But, thanks for your prompt relies Eric, much appreciated!

A thought has just occured to me, "How did things get so far", (The Godfather) over a simple question of propagation!...........Ah, yes,..............Of course,.....Boot filling!
    We have similar problems over here!

Bestest Regards,

KEN. (U.K)

8. Eric La Fountaine

Not that many plants are actually trademarked with propagation restricted in the vast array of available plants. People might tend to mention it when propagation is being discussed for a plant that is so distinct and likely to be recognized as a trademarked plant.

9. KENNETH5636

Not that many plants are actually trademarked with propagation restricted in the vast array of available plants. People might tend to mention it when propagation is being discussed for a plant that is so distinct and likely to be recognized as a trademarked plant.

Point taken Eric,......Not a strong one, but taken nevertheless!

Yours is still the best site Eric, so no worries, as I am intelligent enough to know there are many, many things I don't know!

Best regards,

KEN U.K.

10. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The cultivar is 'Eva' and it is patented in the US. Black Beauty is the trademark used to sell 'Eva'.

11. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Is it fertile? Are these copyrighted ornamentals usually hybrids that revert to some less "overbred" forebearer form when pollinated? If it is fertile & self pollinating or remains more or less true to type with x pollinationI, what is the status of the seeds?

...perhaps each seed would come out with a tiny little sticker like a miniature of the one's on my fruit.

The comment is merely facetious. I am interested in the answers to the questions tho'.

gb

12. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Great plants - yes.

I just picked up my first, a black one.

You had me thinking of the bottled Sambuca for a moment.

13. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Let's get a clear name here: Sambucus nigra 'Eva'

gb