Flowering now, but what is it?

Discussion in 'Plants and Biodiversity Stumpers' started by Weekend Gardener, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

It's Asian.

MinPic05Mar06 026 1000.jpg

2. Ginger Blue

Ginger Blue Active Member

Wasabia japonica?

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hey WG,

You haven't come back to this one. I don't know about wasabi. Only ever seen one pic of it. Was that it? I have been looking around the neighborhood. If it is blooming right now, it's not around me. Still stumped.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Usually thought of as European, but Alliaria petiolata does occur in a large part of Asia as well . . . that it?

5. Ginger Blue

Yeah, I'm dying to know too! The flowering time didn't seem right (too early??) but I thought I'd throw it out anyway.

6. Weekend Gardener

Wasabia japonica

I am so sorry! I apologise especially to Ginger Blue, who got it right the first time. I was waiting for more responses, but none was forthcoming for a whole week. By then I had forgotten about the post!

This one flowers in April and May most years, but this year had been a strange year - it's flowered at the same time as those hellebores! Not an easy one to keep healthy - especially in the summer. It looks wilthy and droopy inspite of watering every day. Understandable, as the plant grows in cool mountain regions in running fresh water. Commercial growers try and duplicate this by growing it in a gravel bed, bathed with constantly running water, and shaded in some way. However, there are a few suggestions for small scale home growing which I am going to try this year.

Why take the trouble? Two reasons:

1. Wasabi paste that we buy from the stores is often not made from the real thing.

2. If it were, it would be expensive. One of the few Wasabi farms in the US, Pacific Farms charges $52 for a lb of 100% real wasabi paste, and $20.87 for 4 bottles of real wasabi dressing.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  7. Ginger Blue

Oh cool! I'll admit I didn't recognize it, but put on my detective hat and put two and two together. And in the process I got to learn about several new (to me) groups of plants. Thanks so much for posting it! These stumpers are fun!

8. Weekend Gardener

Better late than never. Here are some more pictures of W japonica.

MinPic05Mar06 029 1000.jpg

MinPic05Mar06 031 1000.jpg

MinPic05Mar06 033 1000.jpg