first time friend

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by amazingmumo, Mar 14, 2006.

1. amazingmumo

amazingmumo Member

Hello every body, am so glad to join your form...
    i am an Egyptian landscaping engineer working in Saudi Arabia and i am so interested in starting a professional bisiness in selling and propagating of indoor plants ...
    is there any one can help me to contact some sources can share me or investment in the mentioned subject...
    thnx for accepting me as a friend in the forum

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

Hi amazingmumo
    Before you even consider starting the bussiness, i would suggest you do some market research.....is there a big demand for house plants...which plants do well there....is water going to be easily sourced....there is lots to consider...maybe even get a job in a nursery there, just to learn a bit about the Industry.

3. amazingmumo

amazingmumo Member

Dear Oscar
    thans alot for your concern... i would like to inform you that am working in this field 18 years ago and it is a very good business here in Gulf countries therefore i wanted to have some unique source to be a partner to produce that plants or at least supply me with cuttings, plants and annual flowers seeds.
    Yucca, draceana, monestra,diffenbachiae,philodendron,spathyphiluum and more other plannts sold here daily in huge numbers... that all what i can say now.
    thanks again for your concern

4. Rima

Rima Active Member

What you do need to do is look into importing plants because your country may have very strict regulations about which ones can and cannot be brought in, possibly with special certificates, or bare-rooted etc, and if people send you cuttings without either the proper paperwork or without declaring what's in the packages, they may be thrown out at the border.

5. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

You appear to be looking on the wrong side of the world for plants. Most of the indoor plants that we have, are originally from the Orient or Africa. You have so much daily traffic into Jeddah from the Phillipines and India you should look at cuttings from there. Most cuttings will last several days in a moist moss enviroment,in a plastic bag.
    If you happen to be in the "Mid East shopping Mall", on Philistine(Palistine) ave. take a look at the hanging plants that they have and try to get a name. You could export these!
    These plants are draping 2 or 3 stories on an inside mall and must be at least 40' long (12.72567m for canadians) and are truly amazing, they look like that weak cousin that I have growing in my house.
    Soil was always a problem in Saudi and if you want to start a business, try making soil. There are numerous chicken farms in your area, for a great source of nitrogen, sand and water are no problem, all you will have to source is a filler. Those wheat farms towards Riyadh must have straw and chaff to get rid of, which would be the last ingredient to make top soil. Top soil in Canada and U.S. goes for $20-60 a cubic yard, so there may be a source of your black gold.

6. amazingmumo

amazingmumo Member

Dear Rima, there are some regulations of coursr but it is not so hard as you imagine.. many are importing cuttings from Holland and propagating here, and this is the reason i am searching for some different source to share me in this good business or to supply me.
    any way thank you very much for your reply

7. amazingmumo

amazingmumo Member

Hello Dunc
    it is unbelivable to find some one here lived in Saudi Arabia... it is a great chance i think we can cooperate to start searching for some new indoor plants related materials to import to Saudi arabia in coordenation with some American friend lives in Atlantic city ... i hope to hear from you soon thru my yahoo mail account