Finding research papers that are little old?

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by Kada, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Kada

Kada Active Member 10 Years

i am trying totrack down copies of roughly 30 papers. and am wondering how one can go about doing so...i have found some and bought others, but some i jsut cant find anything more than referrences, citations, and/or abstracts....some examples are

COMPOSITION OF CACTUS LOPHOPHORA WILLIAMSII.
    BECKER,H:
    PHARM UNSERER ZEIT (1985) 14 (5) pp. 129-137 INFORMATION CODED FROM AN ABSTRACT. * CHEMICAL ABSTRACTS 104 3412 N
    ZIRNDORF D-8502 GERMANY

EARLY PEYOTE RESEARCH. AN INTERDISCIPLINARY STUDY.
    BRUHN,JG: HOLMSTEDT,B:
    ECON BOT (1974) 28 pp. 353

Fujita, M., Itokawa, H., Inoue, J., Nozu, Y., Goto, N., and Hasegawa, K.;
    On the cactus-alkaloids of Lophophora williamsii var. caespitosa
    (Kobuki-ubadama) J. Pahrm Soc. (***), (1972) 92, 482-489

Thin-layer chromatography analysis of Mexican populations of Lophophora (Cactaceae)
    Todd, J.D.
    Lloydia (1969), 32, 395-398

how does one go about finding pubs like these?

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Kada, I suggest that you consult a librarian. Go to your local public or university library and make inquiries of the reference staff. Here, librarians have master's degrees in library science and are highly trained in research techniques: they know how to perform complex and detailed searches such as yours. Good luck to you in your quest!

3. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Most of these are available via journal services such as Springerlink, Wiley Inter-science, etc. They are easily found (a google search for each revealed a number of sources for the complete articles) but you'll need access via a university to be able to download them. Probably why you've only found abstracts: most of these services only provide the abstract to non-subscribers. As far as I know, individuals cannot subscribe, it has to be done through a university.

4. Kada

yes, its a bit of a problem. Any suggestions how to go about this as a private individual? I live in Taiwan and do not speak Chinese well, and the libraries here are pretty pathetic (not like back in canada where they have access to seemingly everything). University libraries (at least in my area) only allow their students/staff to use it....i wasn't even allowed to go in and read things there! private universities here are like that :(

Any online resources that allow people not connected with any kind of institution to read things like this?

sorry for the questions, but i am not the greatest at finding things, and i have been trying to track down a long list of articles, and there are a few left that i just can't seem to find :(

Thanks for the help :)

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

If it's any consolation, the problems are just the same in Britain.

6. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

7. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Kada: I spoke of your problem to the assistant manager of the library branch where I work. She sympathizes with your situation, and feels that a solution might be to find a university student or professor who could get you access to the resources you need. Do you know any students? Friend of a friend? Someone who is fluent in both Chinese and English would be great. Perhaps you could try emailing a professor and explain what you want to do, or the university library itself. Search the universities' web sites and see what names you can find, then write to them...It might even be possible to email your request to the authors of the articles themselves!

8. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

Maybe contacting the publishers or the writers of the papers involved may be possible.
    Here is a link to Econ Bot and perhaps they can supply a copy of the publication??
    http://www.econbot.org/_welcome_/to_seb.php

9. Kada

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, i REALLY appreciate it! those links have turned up a few other papers i have been unable to get, so thanks for that!

I also got an email from a member here who is a student and was able to send me 2 of the above. I wont mention a name in case he doesn't want, but i really would like to say THANK you!!! it really helped!

unfortunately my search for open university libraries is still at a stand still....maybe i need to enroll is some kind of cheap classes to get access....