Fig and Olive Trees

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Deneb1978, Sep 17, 2004.

1. tarman61

tarman61 Member

I will post my results good or bad :) Thanks

Polar likes this.
  2. brbr

brbr New Member

If you have failed to grow olives, then with pistachios is even more risky

tarman61 likes this.
  3. pmurphy

pmurphy Active Member

Regarding the chinese chestnut, were you referring to Castanea mollissima? If so, they will grow nicely here.
    About 4 years ago I was in Real Canadian Superstore at Christmas to buy chestnuts to roast. What they had were in very poor condition for roasting but perfect for planting....some were starting to sprout so I bought several and planted them into pots. In the spring I put them in ground in the backyard and ignored them. Now they are about 5-6 ft tall and doing great - not sure if I need a second pollinator but if so there are several other types growing in the neighbourhood.

tarman61 likes this.
  4. tarman61

tarman61 Member

Yes, I just planted 10 Castanea mollissima in pots a couple of weeks ago and I am hoping to get at least 2 of them growing, yes you need a second pollinator :). My peach seeds were all molded but my Pistachios are ok but not in pots yet. It is great to hear that your Chestnuts are doing good. I will post an update later when Iam done with Pruning my trees LOL.

5. tarman61

tarman61 Member

Just an update, the Olive tree is doing great although it is still in a pot. It was kept outside all winter long next to a wall facing south west and it is still doing great now in March. I have not planted the Pistachios yet but I will keep you posted.

6. tarman61

tarman61 Member

Yes, in fact my next door neighbor has a cherry tree and it produces a lot of Cherries. My tree is not ornamental, I bought it grafted with four types of Cherries. This year is its last chance if no cherries then it will be replaced with another fruit tree. So far, it has been a waste of space.