Ficus seed germination

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by tree_lover, May 14, 2007.

1. tree_lover

tree_lover Member

Hi,

I need information on germinating seeds of following trees :

Ficus glomerata
    Ficus religiosa
    Ficus Urostigma

Iam being told that these seeds do not germinate, we have to cover huge tracts of land and in some places saplings plantations just isnt possible.

We are trying to spread seeds on barren lands before the onsets of monsoons(3-4months here). The above mentioned Ficus varieties are suited for our climatic conditions and can grow even in less soil conditions (stone cracks etc) , hence the seeds for these varieties were chosen.
    But if these cannot be germinated then there isnt any point in trying to sow the same.

Srinidhi B V likes this.
  2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Why won't they germinate? I can guess that they might need more water to sprout then the open ground will provide. Is that it? But say they do sprout, will the 2 month old saplings be able to withstand the storms?

3. tree_lover

tree_lover Member

Thats exactly my question, but all experts I meet tell me that these ficus trees seeds dont germinate. Iam doing an experiment to germinate some seeds now. But I wanted to know if someone else has already experimented with these and know for sure the outcome.
    Also if there is some seed pre-processing etc required before sowing?

As for Why wont they germinate ? thats the exact quetion Iam asking..:)

4. robfox

robfox Member

I am not sure if info on Ficus Benjamina is of help, but apparently their seeds germination is approximate 55% if sown within 45 days from the harvest date, approximate germination time is 2 weeks; if the seeds are sown within 30 days from harvesting it germinates over 60%. I got this info from Arun of info@seedscompany.com from http://www.seedscompany.com/index.html - maybe email Arun and he may be able to assist you with the species you ask about. Best of luck, Rob