Ficus Ginseng yellowing leaves

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by JUpton08, Oct 2, 2019.

1. JUpton08

JUpton08 New Member

Hi,

I’ve owned my ficus mallsai for over two years now and over the past week some leaves have began to go yellow and easily fall off if touched. I have not changed anything to do with watering recently and it gets good lighting.
    I have checked the leaves and soil and see no signs of pests so I do not know what the problem is.
    Any help is appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

You don't have a problem. Leaves are not forever, and the eldest, interior leaves are at the end of their useful life, and this is the end of the growing season. It will stabilize soon and then just park for the off season. You'll see new buds swelling in late winter, ~late February, or so. To keep the plant compact and about the same size, cut back to two leaves on a stem at that time. Feed it with any liquid fertilizer according to label directions only in the growing season, when you see it growing, from April up to ~the end of August. Repot with fresh soil every 4 or 5 years, cutting off large, anchor roots and retaining fine feeder roots. And that's all there is to it. Enjoy!

3. JUpton08

JUpton08 New Member

Hi, thanks for the reply, this has not happened before in my ownership of the tree, however my tree had a huge growth spurt this summer and grew loads of leaves, could this rapid growth be the reason? Leaves are still yellowing and dropping, how would I know if it is a problem

4. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

Yes, new growth shades older leaves, and resources from the roots are directed to the most efficient leaves, the new ones in the best light. As long as the leaves that are dropping are interior, oldest leaves closer to the trunk, that's normal.