Ficus benjamina with scale?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Late, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Late

Late Active Member

I have a friend with a 6' over 10 year old ficus benjamina. One little area has very sticky leaves and there is a sticky film on the floor under this area. We have examined the leaves carefully and can't see any scale but I'm sure that's what it is. Since the ficus benjamina is a little finicky what is the best way to get rid of the scale.

Thanks

Norma

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Late,

It's best to be sure it's scale. Take a look on the branches and trunk. Here's a site that shows many different scales.
    http://woodypest.ifas.ufl.edu/insect.htm

If that is the problem you will need to use a horticultural oil. Read the directions carefully as you will need to spray more then once. With outdoor trees it's best done in fall and again in spring, but I think the life span and activity is more frequent in the home environment.

Newt

3. Late

Late Active Member

Thanks for the site that you suggested Newt. Now I know exactly what to look for and will know what to use on it when we've determined if it's scale or not. Is there another pest that creates the stickiness or is scale the only one?

Thanks again for all the information and I'll keep you posted as to what the outcome is?

Norma

4. Newt

Norma, you are very welcome. Actually aphids secret that same sticky honeydew. They tend to congregate in large groups and are often found on leaves and softer stems. They also come in many different colors. I would love to know what you discover.

Newt

5. Late

Late Active Member

I will see the tree on Tuesday Newt and I'll be sure and let you know what we find. I've seen aphids on roses but didn't know that they secreted the same sticky substance. I can't wait to see the tree again so I can start looking and this time I'll know what I'm looking for.

You've been a big help Newt.

Norma

6. Newt

Norma, did you know that ants, and sometimes wasps, bees and flies, harvest the honeydew? Talk about recycling! When people mention that there are ants crawling on their plants or trees I always tell them to look for scales or aphids, except for peonies, of course. They seem to have a different relationship with the ants and the ants protect the plants.

I'd love to know what you find out.
    Newt

7. Late

Late Active Member

Newt: Now that you mention it I have a desert rose outside that had ants crawling all over it. Upon close inspection I found that it had quite a bad dose of scale. Fortunately it is quite small and I used rubbing alcohol and a Q tip and I haven't seen any ants around it lately.

The creatures in nature usually find a use for everything. Unfortunately this ficus is indoors so there are no ants to help with the diagnosis but something to be aware of in the future. And maybe on a new thread we could discuss why the ants do inhabit the peonies?

Great information Newt!

Norma

8. Newt

Desert rose - Adenium? Isn't that a tropical? They're really neat plants. I think the peony secretes something that keep the ants 'happy'. I've really never looked into it, but it would be interesting to discover the reason for the relationship.

Newt

9. Late

Late Active Member

Adenium is a tropical and mine bloomed for about six weeks this year. I brought it outside early in the summer and since we've had such a hot humid one this year, it just seemed to thrive. Right now it's having a bit of a rest but I see new buds starting to form so expect it'll be blooming again within the next few weeks.

Very interesting plant Newt, have you tried growing one?

Norma

10. Newt

Adenium is one I haven't tried. I think they are strange looking, but just lovely when in bloom. I'd love to try tropical orchids but I'm afraid that once I start with those I'll want them all. That will be the end of my 'plant' budget! ;)

Newt